Our founder is a computational linguist at MIT. Our team is being mentored by the MIT Tata Center. We seek your assistance in serving underserved populations in India to attain Internet-level literacy to enable a break-out to reach the ability to learn at a fundamental new level.
Our approach is as a benefit corporation with a mission-based philosophy.
Intelligible English provides web-based software for Indian-born language learners. Our team includes experts and scientists from MIT, Harvard and Brandeis. We use technology in speech recognition and machine learning. We are based in Cambridge, MA, with operations in Silicon Valley and Israel. This is our second product which is a pivot to a larger market. We are Semifinalists in Mass Challenge. Previously, we placed as semifinalists in the MIT $100k Business Plan Competition and Distinguished Finalists at Harvard Business School winning the category of Web-Based Innovation.
Intelligible English: Seeking Interns
As our business of Intelligible English Corporation continues to grow, we need more interns.
Interns learn in a project-based hands-on manner with direct guidance from a senior management team member.
Interns here find they have better educational experiences here than at large companies. Projects assigned to interns are meaningful to the interns, to our company and to the language-learning community at large. Our interns work at the cutting edge of this technology. We believe that mixed gender teams are more productive.
We seek bilingual and bicultural graduate students. Some great candidates have a background in linguistics and/or language learning before pivoting to their current passion from the list below.
For full-time work, we can sponsor your H1-b visa and have arrangements in place to eventually serve as your sponsor for green card in case of excellent fit & long-term permanent employment.
Computer Science Graduate Students (Undergraduates are also welcome):
- Machine Learning, Computational Linguistics, Data Science, or Speech Recognition (researching & implementing solutions, python, data visualization, prototyping, end-to-end, data cleaning, features)
- User Experience, Interface Design and Implementation, human-centered design
Business Graduate Students (Undergraduates are also welcome):
- Business Development (developing relationships, engaging stakeholders, encouraging use of product)
- Video Marketing (producing video for promotion, marketing, teaching, lead generation)
- Internet/Social Media Marketing (automatically generating leads over the Internet)
Linguists/Humanities Graduate Students with interest in ESL/English-Language-Learning (Undergraduates also):
- Linguistics expertise in patterns of stress and intonation
- Curriculum Development (teaching ESL/ELL using 21st century tools)
- Identification of Unmet Market Needs and Upcoming Educational Technology or Policy Trends
- Revising/Polishing a Textbook Explaining our innovative ESL/ELL Concepts to ESL Teachers
- Animation, Illustration, Graphic Art — e.g. Illustrations explaining how to use website & why to use
A minimum commitment of 8-12 hours per week is required. Days are flexible depending on student schedule and internship manager needs.
Please send resume and cover letter explaining how your background relates and goals relates to serving in a specific role in a startup.